Cars or trucks collide with pedestrians all too often in North Carolina. In 2015 alone, there were 2,139 injury-causing pedestrian accidents in the state. Tragically, these crashes claimed 196 lives, which represented a 14.7 percent increase over the previous year.
When the driver bears the fault for the incident, victims in North Carolina are entitled to receive compensation for their medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering by filing a personal injury claim.
When pedestrians are hit by drivers, the collisions often result from one of the following factors:
- Failure to yield at pedestrian crossings
- Failure to obey red lights and stop signs
- Drugs or alcohol
- Distracted driving (texting, emailing, and surfing the web via mobile phones is a major cause)
- Road maintenance problems (potholes, etc.)
- Poor vehicle maintenance or part failure (brakes, tires, etc.)
Request a Free Consultation
As communities like Charlotte continue to move toward more walkable and pedestrian-friendly urban planning, reducing pedestrian accidents and keeping pedestrians safe will only grow in importance. Educating the public about pedestrian safety and holding negligent drivers who injure or kill pedestrians accountable are important for reducing the rising trend of pedestrian fatalities and injuries in North Carolina.
Why Hire a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer?
Although the other party’s insurance company may contact you after a car-pedestrian crash, you should always talk to a pedestrian injury lawyer before speaking with them. The insurance company wants to protect its own bottom line only, and the adjuster who contacts you is almost always looking to accomplish one of two things: find evidence they can use to dismiss your claim or convince you to take the smallest settlement possible.
Because North Carolina law follows the “contributory negligence” rule for personal injury cases, you won’t be eligible to receive compensation for your injuries if you were at fault in any way for the accident that caused them — even if you are only 1 percent at fault and the other driver is 99 percent at fault. The insurance company in your case knows this fact and will look for any possible excuse to place blame on you and deny your claim.
Unfortunately, the contributory negligence rule places an unfair burden on victims to show that they had no role whatsoever in causing their injuries. This is why you need an experienced personal injury lawyer to advocate for you and protect your rights in a pedestrian accident case. When you choose Myers Law Firm to represent you, we’ll perform a full investigation of the circumstances surrounding your injuries and prepare to fight the inevitable insurance company tactics that will try to create delay and confusion, and provide you as little money as possible.
Remember that the statute of limitations for personal injury cases in North Carolina is three years, so don’t wait to contact an attorney after you’ve been hurt in a pedestrian crash; doing so could cost you your right to file a lawsuit and receive compensation for your injuries.
Want to learn more about personal injury cases?
We'll send you a series of free informational emails starting today:
Contact Myers Law Firm If You’ve Been Injured
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident, the dedicated pedestrian accident attorneys at Myers Law Firm are here to help you. We offer free initial consultations for all personal injury cases, and when you choose us to represent you, we’ll fight in court to protect your rights while treating you with the compassion and respect that you deserve.
To schedule your free consultation, please call our Charlotte office toll-free at 1-888-376-ATTY (2889) or fill out and submit our online contact form. We will follow up and get in touch with you as soon as possible.
North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles. (2016). North Carolina 2015 traffic crash facts. Retrieved from https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/DMV/DMV%20Documents/2015%20Crash%20Facts.pdf